“Self-care is not selfish. You cannot serve from an empty vessel.” - Eleanor Brownn
This quote has been particularly inspiring for me on my self-care journey. It’s a reminder that taking care of myself isn’t selfish or indulgent - it’s necessary for me to be able to show up fully in my relationships, work, and daily life. It’s a powerful reminder to prioritize my own well-being and not feel guilty for doing so.
As someone who has a million things on her to-do list, I have learned the importance of self-care. It’s easy to get caught up in the day-to-day stresses of life and forget to take care of ourselves, but prioritizing self-care has made a huge difference in my mental and emotional well-being.
For me, self-care means taking time to recharge and do things that make me feel good. This could be as simple as taking a bubble bath, going for a walk, or reading a good book. I have found that simple rituals help me take care of myself on a daily basis.
Here are 8 Simple Ways I’ve found to Practice Self-Care:
- Grounding exercises and breath work 1 : Whenever I feel overwhelmed or anxious, taking a few deep breaths helps to calm my mind and bring me back to the present moment. Breathing exercises can be a fantastic way to relax and center yourself, and the best part is that they don’t take up a lot of time! All you need to do is make a little room in your day to focus on your breath. Start small with just 5 minutes a day, and work your way up as you become more comfortable and confident. If you're short on time or feeling a bit overwhelmed, start with a quick 2-minute breathing session. Make breathing exercises a regular part of your routine by setting aside specific times throughout the day or taking a moment to focus on your breath whenever you need a quick reset.
- Practice Gratitude: Taking each day to reflect on what I’m grateful for has helped me shift my focus from what I don’t have to what I do have. Sometimes I sit down with my 9 year old and we write out three things that we are each grateful for. Somehow, Nintendo is always on top of his list 🙂
- Get enough sleep: Getting enough sleep is crucial for my physical and mental health. When I prioritize getting enough rest, I feel more energized and focused throughout the day. In my 20’s and 30’s, I thought that I could get by with a few hours of sleep but over time, I have learned that my body needs deep sleep for me to feel energized for the next day.
- Move your body: Whether it's going for a walk or doing a quick yoga flow, moving my body helps me feel more centered and boosts my mood. I try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise every day.
- Connect with others: Spending time with friends and loved ones or joining a social group helps me feel less alone and boosts my mood. I make it a point to plan out a few coffee catch-ups with friends every month. It gives me something to look forward to.
- Treat yourself: Whether it's indulging in a favorite food or activity, buying myself a little something, or taking a day off to relax, treating myself helps me feel more positive and fulfilled.
- Set boundaries: As someone who tends to put others' needs before my own, setting boundaries has been crucial for my own well-being and prevents me from getting burnt out.
- Try a curated self-care box: Curated self-care boxes provide a fun and convenient way to indulge in self-care and try out new products. They offer a little extra self-care in my life and help me feel more positive and fulfilled. A few months back, I started curating self-care boxes for my friends and family and filled them with candles, bath bombs, face masks, teas, and other goodies. This was my way of saying “please take care of yourselves”. I got such rave reviews about these boxes that I added them to the store! If you're looking for a fun and easy way to prioritize self-care, I highly recommend giving a curated self-care box a try. It's a simple and convenient way to indulge in self-care and can help to reduce stress and improve overall well-being. With a wide range of products to choose from, you're sure to find something that appeals to your interests and needs. Plus, it's always exciting to receive a surprise package in the mail filled with goodies!
Overall, self-care has been a transformative practice for me. By taking time to nurture my mind, body, and soul, I am better equipped to handle life's challenges and feel more fulfilled in my daily life. Being refreshed and recharged means that I can show up as a mother, wife, caregiver, friend and business owner more fully and am able to enjoy everything that life has to offer.
By: Smriti Sinha